We are a Leader in Me School!
Leader in Me is an evidence-based, social-emotional learning process—developed in partnership with educators—that empowers students with the leadership and life skills they need to thrive in the 21st century.
It is based on principles and practices of personal, interpersonal, and organizational effectiveness. Leader in Me starts from a powerful premise—every child possesses unique strengths and has the ability to be a leader—which shapes the views of staff to value and develop the whole child.
Leader In Me focuses on 7 key, age-appropriate habits:
- Habit 1: Be Proactive
- Habit 2: Begin With the End in Mind
- Habit 3: Put First Things First
- Habit 4: Think Win-Win
- Habit 5: Seek First to Understand, Then to Be Understood
- Habit 6: Synergize
- Habit 7: Sharpen the Saw
Please visit leaderinme.org for more info
Leader in Me at WGH
As a Leader In Me School, we have integrated these practices into our school culture:
- Each student has a LIM binder that they personalize and fill with goals and accomplishments every year
- Every student receives instruction in the 7 habits
- The 7 habits are reinforced through classroom language, instruction, interactions with peers and reflections
- All classes work collaboratively to determine a unique, classroom mission statement at the beginning of every year
- Students have opportunities to make contributions to their classes and school in meaningful ways, such as class leadership positions, club leadership positions, or our Student Lighthouse Representative committee
- Goal setting is encouraged and evident at the personal, class and whole-school level
- Our monthly success assemblies focus on positive habits and we highlight students from each class every month who embody these habits
- Staff routinely get refresher and coaching sessions to keep the continuum of improvement moving forward
Please view the galleries below to see the Leader In Me Program in action around WGH.